Homemade Deodorant

IMG_4396

“Worry doesn’t take away tomorrow’s troubles, it takes away today’s peace.”

This is definitely a mantra that I need to work on each day.  I tend  to worry about a lot of things, even when there’s nothing that pressing I seem to find something to worry about.  I have learned the hard way that worry does indeed take away the peace of today without ever effectively addressing troubles that may lie ahead.  This week I am going to try and make more of an effort to be more mindful, present, and worry-free.  I’m going to work on enjoying the peace and happiness of each day and let the troubles roll away.

I’ve started making homemade deodorant because one of the things I tend to worry about is the toxic, chemical-laden, crappy materials that go into cosmetics and health supplements.  When I first started researching antiperspirant, I was shocked.  For example, let’s look at Lady Speed Stick Antiperspirant Deodorant – Shower Fresh Scent.  The ingredient list includes:

• Active Ingredient: Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex 15.4%
  • Inactive Ingredients: Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Kernel Oil; Stearyl Alcohol; Cyclomethicone; C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate; PPG-14 Butyl Ether; Hydrogenated Castor Oil; Hydrogenated Soybean Oil; PEG-8 Distearate; Fragrance; Hydrolyzed Corn Starch; Behenyl Alcohol

I mean, how excited are you to rub that on your sensitive underarms?!  Not to mention, I’m sure all those unpronounceable ingredients work wonders on our body once absorbed through the skin.  This is just one example, but I’ve read the ingredients of many different brands of antiperspirants and deodorants and nearly all of them included loads of chemicals and dangerous ingredients.  Antiperspirants contain aluminum which clogs the sweat glands and keeps the body from sweating.  Aluminum use in cosmetics has been linked to cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and more.  And, then there’s the parabens that are in most deodorants.  Yon can read all about parabens here.

When I found out that something I put on my body every day could possibly cause cancer, I really freaked out!  I let it stress me out for months, until one day (years ago!), I decided to do something about it.  I began experimenting with all-natural store-bought deodorants, but it seemed they all made me break out or stink – like really stink.  I will say though, that this lavender deodorant is one of the few store-bought, all natural deodorants that covered up my BO and didn’t make me break out.  This was the exact deodorant I used until I started making my homemade coconut deodorant.

IMG_4368

After a while, I realized I could save lots of money by simply making my deodorant at home.  That was when this homemade deodorant was born!  It has only 4 ingredients, takes 5 minutes to prepare, and covers up sweat and stench like no other!  I will warn you that it may take your body a week or so to get used to using an all-natural deodorant like my homemade deodorant.  Trust me and stick it out if this does happen.  It will go away!  Also, use this homemade deodorant sparingly during each application as the coconut oil melts and spreads quickly.  Once you use this deodorant, your armpits will never be the same!

Coconut Deodorant

** Inspired by this deodorant recipe by Wellness Mama.  I love this site and highly recommend you check it out!
Prep Time: 5 mins

Cool Time: 15 mins

Ingredients:

1/4 c. Coconut oil, melted
1  tbsp. Baking soda
1/8 c. Cornstarch
1/8 c. Arrowroot powder
Essential oils of choice (optional)

***UPDATE: I have changed the amount of baking soda from 1/4 c. to 1 tbsp baking soda.  Some people can have an adverse reaction to baking soda because of its pH level and leads to a slight rash.  If you still want to keep the baking soda for its odor whisking properties simply use 1 tbsp of baking soda.  OR, you can simple eliminate the baking soda all together.

Directions:

Combine coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch, and arrowroot in a mixing bowl.  When well combined add in a drop or two of your favorite essential oil.  **Note, I use this deodorant as is without the essential oils and it works amazingly well!  Lastly, pour into an empty deodorant container which you can order here (I order these exact ones), or simply pour into a small mason jar like these and refrigerate for 15 minutes.  Remove from the refrigerator and use as needed.  If using a mason jar you will have to chip out little pieces and rub them onto your armpit.  The deodorant will melt and apply smoothly upon contact with skin.  I find that one batch of deodorant lasts me several months.  Also, no need to store in the refrigerator unless your home is at a temperature at which coconut oil is liquid at room temperature.

17 comments

• amindfulmantra@gmail.com says:

Hi Lacy! I haven’t personally tried this without the cornstarch, however you could substitute the cornstarch for arrowroot powder. The cornstarch does help with absorbing moisture, so you may notice a little more wetness in the underarm region. Let us know how it works if you try it :)

• Lacy says:

Thank you for the speedy reply!
        I will be trying the recipe without the cornstarch. Simply because I forgot to get some at the store when purchasing the arrowroot powder! Whoops.
        Oh well, exparament time! I will definitely comment once I’ve made it and let you know how it works.

1. Catherine says:

Hi there ! I want to thank you big time for this recipe ! I tried it and there was no arrowroot available so I ended using organic coconut flour and a few drops of Ylang Ylang. I leave in a tropical country so the deodorant has to be in the fridge or it is creamy. It is the best deodorant I have ever had in my whole life and I am sure it is not putting nasties in my body. The only detail that bothers me a bit is that there is a grainy texture to it. Could it be from the baking soda not being fine enough ? Thanks so much for this, this del gives me hope again about dealing with my chemical sensitivity and having a ‘ cosmetic life ‘ again. Fruity hugs Catherine

• amindfulmantra@gmail.com says:

So glad you like the deodorant, Catherine! Yes, the grainy texture could be coming from the baking soda. You could always add less baking soda next time and see if that helps.

2. Cindy says:

Hi Brandy. I love your recipe for homemade deodorant however my daughter-in-law is allergic to coconut. Is there another oil that can be used instead of coconut oil?

• amindfulmantra@gmail.com says:

Hi Cindy! I have never tried this recipe with any oil other than coconut, but I might recommend trying a high quality olive oil. It’s gentle on the skin. It doesn’t have the anti bacterial properties of coconut oil, but it is soothing. If you use olive oil, the mixture would definitely have to be stored in the refrigerator as it would melt at room temperature.

3. Lacy says:

This truly sounds fabulous! I will definitely be making this. I too have been bothered by store bought deodorant for a very long time now. So beyond happy to have come across this recipe of yours.
    Just out of curiosity, Why
    1/8 c. Cornstarch and 1/8 c. Arrowroot powder If they both thicken a mixture?

• amindfulmantra@gmail.com says:

Hi Lacy! So glad you enjoyed this post! The reason I chose to use 1/8c. cornstarch and 1/8c. arrowroot is because sometimes the baking soda and cornstarch absorb too much moisture and leave my underarms really dry. I find that the arrowroot is good for thickening the mixture without drying out my underarms. Of course, if arrowroot is not available you can always replace it with cornstarch. If dryness becomes an issue, decrease the amount of baking soda and cornstarch by a little. The coconut oil will still remain solid at room temperature (as long as it’s under 78 degrees), so the mixture should still remain solid once chilled. However, you an always add a little melted beeswax to help hold it together if needed.

Hope that helps!

• Lacy says:

Thank you so much for the reply!
        Yes, I think that will definitely help. Great info, I look forward to reading more great blog posts in the future.

4. Adriana says:

Hi Brandy and Collen -
    I’m also looking for alternative deodorants, but no one worked so far.
    I live in Brazil – pretty hot – besides that, I sweat a lot. Do you think it’s effective for tropical weather?

• amindfulmantra@gmail.com says:

Hi Adriana!

I think that this deodorant would work well in hot climates. I practice vigorous yoga that causes me to sweat A LOT, but my armpits are never stinky! I wear this deodorant all through the summer and have never had an issue with odor. I think it would be worth a try, plus it’s pretty cheap and easy to make. The one thing I would recommend is storing it in the refrigerator so that it doesn’t melt, given that Brazil can get much warmer than the Northeast United States.

Hope you love it as much as I do!

5. Collen says:

I love this mantra Brandy! Kind of like that old saying, “don’t borrow trouble.” Like you, we could all learn to enjoy each days peace. On the deodorant note, I’ve been using your homemade coconut one and I LOVE IT! It works great and smells so yummy. I look forward to your homemade makeup line. I couldn’t live without make up but don’t like using all the chemical store brands.

6. Ish says:

Hi Brandy, Recently found your site and really enjoyed reading your mantras. Question about the deodorant: doesn’t it feel oily under the arms? Also, I would think that hair in that area would grow faster due to the application of oil…have you anything like that?

• amindfulmantra@gmail.com says:

So glad that you’re enjoying the site! It doesn’t at all feel oily to me. It may at first just because it does have a slightly different texture than store-bought deodorant. I only apply a little bit – much less than I would store bought deodorant. Also, I haven’t noticed my underarm hair growth to be any faster than when I was using the store bought stuff. I have noticed that it does make my underarms really smooth, which I love!